VGA

This describes answers to common questions that you may discover with the your video messaging system. Someone will attempt to respond to all posts within one business day.

Moderator: Amy-StrandVision

iacherra

VGA

Post by iacherra »

Laptop connected to TV with 15 pin VGA, how do I make the sound come from the TV instead of the laptop? I'm using a standard 15 pin VGA cable from my laptop to my TV. I have the display settings as 'extended'. I'm running windows vista home premium. The sound just comes from the laptop speakers but I want it to come out the TV. Any help would be really appreciated.
Last edited by iacherra on Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjstrand
Site Admin

Re: VGA

Post by mjstrand »

The standard 15 pin VGA connector does not carry sound. Only HDMI has that ability (and that is laptop dependent as well). So, you can try an HDMI cable if your laptop and tv have that ability. Otherwise, you would wire a separate audio cable from the speaker out jack to the audio input for your television. Usually that is a 1/8 inch stereo male (for the laptop) to dual RCA jacks (for the tv). It may be two 1/8" stereo male jacks too depending on your television.
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.