Potential ways to address negative employee behavior

Since almost half of all companies want to use digital signage systems to promote to their own employees. This is an area where you can share the good and bad experiences of motivating your employees.

Moderator: Amy-StrandVision

mjstrand
Site Admin

Potential ways to address negative employee behavior

Post by mjstrand »

Although not an expert on this, I feel that it is important to address negative employee behavior. I also feel that it should be pointed out immediately, but not addressed until both parties have "cooled off" (not to exceed 1 day). In the heat of the moment, dealing with a confrontational issue usually leads to words that are said that are not thought through. Discussing it the following morning usually yields more open communication. At the point that the behavior is noticed, you should address the behavior by directing them to go home, leave the project for the day, or similar response to eliminate the behavior from impacting other employees and also alerting other employees that negative behavior will be addressed and not shoved "under the rug". If they become abusive, at a minimum, ask them to stop. If you controlled enough, take them to a private area and put up a "mirror" by describing their behavior and asking how they feel about this and if it is really improving the situation.

Once you are able to think before you speak, bring the employee to a private area (your own office makes a stronger statement than a conference room - so select the location based on the importance you wish to place on this incident). Describe the situation that caused the discomfort for both of you and see if they knew that it was inappropriate. Some people truly may not know that what they did was a diversion from your corporate culture. If they did, then discuss "your view" of the damage that their actions and behavior have caused. Ask them for their opinion of it as well. Then ask them for possible solutions to the problems that have been created. you should guide them into the solutions that you have thought about when you describe the problems, but do your best to let them arrive at their own solutions so that they will have an easier time buying into it, thus having them "want" to do it. If there are no possible solutions to the behavior issues and the damage that it has caused, then it is important to release the employee. Continuing to hold onto someone who does not fit your view of your companies corporate culture will serve to make the people who do fit the culture question whether they want to stay in that environment and potentially leave. It is better to let one questionable person go than to lose your best people who enjoy their job.
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.

Sorry

Post by Guest »

Well thats your opinion and well its your opinion.
Grobby

Post by Grobby »

why not? Mjstrand is right!!!! i agree with it
mjstrand
Site Admin

Thanks for agreeing!

Post by mjstrand »

Welcome to our forum and thanks for your comment! Although I've had loads of experience in this area, it typically is the boomer and x generation. Which generation are you? I was thinking that the previous person who commented may have been the y generation or the next one following that (I forget what they call that one).

I do know that different generations look for different things from employers, so just curious. Thanks again. Mike
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.
cold_name

Re: Sorry

Post by cold_name »

Anonymous wrote:Well thats your opinion and well its your opinion.
And I think it's very interesting...