what is a vga converter

This describes answers to common questions that you may discover with the your video messaging system. Someone will attempt to respond to all posts within one business day.

Moderator: Amy-StrandVision

mjstrand
Site Admin

what is a vga converter

Post by mjstrand »

I was looking at you system and was wondering how it would look on older
televisions? I read your web site and saw they you needed a "VGA Converter"
and a VCR to run the program on a TV. What equipment do I need to convert
it to television (what is a "VGA Converter"?) and how much quality will I
lose? Also, I have converted programs to television before and sometimes
get a "horizontal rise" on the television. How can I avoid that?

Thanks,
Joe
mjstrand
Site Admin

VGA Converter Options

Post by mjstrand »

The vga converters work pretty well these days (without scan lines showing up). Typically I recommend that you run the computer at 800 by 600 resolution which works with lower cost vga converters. If there are problems, you can run it at 640 by 480 resolution also. If you follow this link, you'll see on that works well for under $50. http://www.grandtec.com/ultimateEZ.htm. The system is designed so that all text, lines and images are big enough to be viewed on a television screen. There are also some adjustments that you can make to the system if you wish.

Of course if you want ot just use the computer screen, that would eliminate the need for the vga converter. Also, some video cards have a composite output channel that would also eliminate the need for the vga converter.
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.
iacherra

Re: what is a vga converter

Post by iacherra »

How can I connect my laptop with VGA to my LCD TV that has HDMI, S-Video, RCA, and Component videi inputs? I have an older laptop that I want to connect to my Emerson HDTV. The laptop only has a VGA port. The tv does not have VGA in. It has HDMI, RCA, Component, and S-Video. What is my best solution for adapters? I see they make VGA to RCA adapters, which sounds the easiest. Is there another adapter that would work better?
Last edited by iacherra on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjstrand
Site Admin

Re: what is a vga converter

Post by mjstrand »

VGA to RCA adapters have traditionally are very poor resolution (640 x 480 or 720 x 480). It is possible that with all the high definition, it might be better. I believe that the RCA signals do not do high definition, but hopefully someone here can validate that.

Although it will cost a bit more (I saw an Aluratek AVH100F VGA to HDMI 1080p Adapter w/Audio for $110 from tigerdirect), going with a vga to hdmi adapter will make you much happier with the system in the end.
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.