Digital Signage screens go blank

This describes answers to common questions that you may discover with the your video messaging system. Someone will attempt to respond to all posts within one business day.

Moderator: Amy-StrandVision

mjstrand
Site Admin

Digital Signage screens go blank

Post by mjstrand »

Why do my digital signage screens disappear after about 15 minutes, but if I move my mouse or press a key they reappear?
Last edited by mjstrand on Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.
mjstrand
Site Admin

Power Saving Settings

Post by mjstrand »

The default power saving settings for most Windows computers is 15 minutes for the screen and 1 hour for the hard drive. Since there is no keyboard or mouse activity when running a kiosk (you can even remove the keyboard for security purposes), the system determines that the system is idle. We recommend that you set the display so that it never powers down and the hard drive to power down after 1 minute. During working hours, the hard drive will continue to be powered up because there is typically new information every 10 to 20 seconds. At night, the information is updated once an hour.

To change it, select the Start menu, Settings, Control Panel, Power Options. Set "Turn Off Monitor" to Never and "Turn Off Hard Drives" to 1 minute. Press ok to save it.
Mike is president of StrandVision Digital Signage and also does business marketing consulting through MikeStrand.com.